10 Ways to Lower Your Texas CPS Energy Bill in the Summer According to Tiger Services AC San Antonio
We love living in Texas but the sweltering summer heat can be dangerous and uncomfortable. After being outside all day or getting in and out of a vehicle parked in the sun, in the evenings we’re ready for some cool, comfortable air conditioning and refreshments.
Unfortunately, in order to get cool and stay comfortable while sleeping, we crank down the thermostat. And that can result in higher than usual electric bills.
Tiger Services AC San Antonio Suggests The Following:
- Proper Thermostat Settings. While setting a thermostat at 72 or 70 degrees feels really good, most experts suggest a setting of 78 degrees. In order to get acclimated to the higher thermostat temperature, why not raise the setting a degree or two at a time? It might just still feel comfortable at the higher setting once accustomed to it.
- Get a Smart Thermostat. Do you have a programmable thermostat? Smart thermostats have been around awhile but the latest designs are extremely useful in saving on your energy bill. If you use the thermostat correctly, you can program temperatures for when you are away from home or when you’re in for the night. This will maximize AC usage if set to adjust according to day or evening outside temperatures.
- Regular AC Maintenance. Tiger Services offers AC service and maintenance. Continued check-ups of your air conditioning unit assist in maintaining its highest efficiency level. This, in turn, assists with lowering CPS Energy bills. The best time to schedule maintenance is in the spring, prior to heavy summer use. Get ahead of the high volume of service calls for HVAC repair which usually occur in the summer and contact us today.
- Change Air Filters Regularly. Take care of the little things on a regular basis to avoid small issues becoming big ones. Changing your air filter monthly will help ensure easy air flow and the AC unit will not have to work so hard cooling your home. Clean air filters can save on energy costs and help prolong the AC working efficiently. Tiger Services recommends Aprilaire Air filters. Contact us to find out more about installing your Aprilaire Air Filter to improve the indoor air quality in your home.
- Avoid Creating Extra Indoor Heat. Another suggestion is to avoid extra heat in the house since the AC unit is working overtime to counteract the hot temperatures outside. A slow cooker or toaster oven produce much less heat than the oven or stovetop. They also use less energy. Grilling outside is a good plan when it is cool enough to do so.
- Use Your Ceiling Fans. Ceiling fans can help make a room comfortable without setting the thermostat to a lower temperature. Because the circulation they create evaporates moisture on your skin, it helps you feel cooler. A combination of fan usage and good management of your AC settings can assist with energy savings.
- Close shades and blinds. Closing shades and blinds on your windows and doors help keep the heat out and the cool in during hot, sunny days. Better yet, they do not require any electricity! When shades or blinds are on installed on the windows, try to cover the ones facing direct sunlight. Another idea is to install solar screens which block out most of the UV rays from the sun and still allow you to see outside.
- Create Shade through Landscaping. Shrubs and trees around your home can create shade. It is best to have a plan before growing or transplanting. Planting them near windows on the sunny side of the house is good but they need to be planted at least a foot from the wall and away from any full-grown plants. Plant them around the AC unit to save money and improve efficiency but be sure not to block the air flow.
- Check for Air Leaks in Doors and Windows. Periodically it is a good idea to check your home for air leaks in doors and windows. Also, be sure there is sufficient and quality insulation installed. U.S. Department of Energy research shows as much as a 30% energy usage saving by having all the leaks sealed. Tiger Services AC San Antonio offers home energy audits to point out if there are any issues and will fix them quickly.
- Regulate the Washing and Drying of Clothes. Washing clothes in cold water helps energy savings. Also drying clothes at night won’t heat up the house as much and the air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to offset the heat generated. This will help with lowering the utility bills.
It is always possible to switch utility providers if there are options in your area. A decision to consider is whether you want power with a fixed- or variable-rate plan. The fixed-rate plan will lock down a low rate for a fixed term. A month-to-month plan offers the opportunity to take advantage of dropping energy rates.
So, for assistance in assessing your AC unit and your CPS Energy bills this summer, contact Tiger Services or give us a call at (210) 344-0060.