As summer temperatures continue to climb, your AC unit is working hard to keep you and your family cool. Here are ways you can lower utility bills, save energy, increase comfort and maximize the efficiency of your AC unit.
- Have a cool one on us! Call your Tiger Services AC professional to have your AC unit inspected, cleaned, repaired and tuned. Our technicians are licensed, bonded and insured HVAC professionals. We can help you save money on services. See our coupon page for details.
- Check your AC system filters. AC system filters should be checked monthly and replaced as needed. Summertime air is full of dust and allergens that can clog your AC filter causing your AC system to work harder to supply cool, clean air. Replacing air filters is one of the best ways to maintain your HVAC system and keep it running efficiently, saving you money on energy usage costs.
- Keep your AC system in the shade. AC units run more efficiently in the shade. Consider planting landscaping to provide the needed shade for your unit.
- Thermostats can’t take the heat. Thermostats pick up on heat from all factors in their surrounding area. Keep the space free of heat-producing appliances such as TV sets and lamps. When installing a new thermostat, make sure it is not in direct sunlight or near doors to the outside. Ask us about installing a programmable thermostat for your home.
- Do touch that dial to save money. Every degree you take your thermostat below 78 degrees will increase your energy consumption by about 8%. That equates to $8 a month for every degree below 78 degrees for a $100 bill! Ouch!
- Some thermostats are smarter than others. Consider investing in a programmable thermostat or smart thermostat to maximize your energy use or be sure to raise the thermostat temperature as you head to work each day.
- Consider letting Tiger Services replace your HVAC with a more efficient model at a price that fits your budget. Is it time to replace your unit with an energy efficient model? Thanks to federal tax credits, our competitive prices and the reduction in energy costs, you can save money in the long run by replacing your old AC system. Let us help you calculate your savings.
- Weatherize your San Antonio home to prevent cool air loss. Keep cool air in and hot air out with basic weatherization. Seal air leaks with caulking and weather stripping at window openings. Add insulation around air conditioning ducts.
- Watch the pavement and mind the landscaping. Landscaping with large areas of rock, cement, and asphalt that take south or west sunlight will radiate heat and increase the temperature around the house. Having shaded spaces near the house, on the other hand, will cool temperatures.
- Declutter the debris. Keep plants and shrubs and any other landscape 2 to 4 feet away from you outdoor AC unit to ensure adequate airflow.
- Reset the fan flow. Switch your ceiling fans to run counterclockwise in the summer. That will push the cool air down. Ceiling fans run 12 hours a day for only $1.50 a month.
- Install window film to save energy. Adding window film or tint to the insides of windows will not only keep your house cooler in the summer but also warmer in winter months.
Need additional ideas for energy savings around your San Antonio home? Call Tiger Services at (210) 344-0060 today to start saving money and feeling cool.